Monday, June 10, 2013

Osaka

I visited Osaka, Japan in March of last year. It was one of the strangest, most surreal experiences I’ve ever witnessed. I loved it, but I continually had to ask myself “Is this real life?”…you know, like similar to that viral video, David After the Dentist. The reason I say this is… everything was just so peculiar from the fashion to the blinding neon lights of street shops and restaurants. The night life was amazing- people don’t seem to sleep in Osaka. Maybe it’s because my cousin and I booked a hotel in the heart of the city; our hotel was literally right next to the club district. You could hear the pounding of music well into the morning. Another trippy thing was that our hotel had a pet rabbit in the lobby. Uhh…ok sure, rabbits can be trendy. Anyway we did some exploring at night and we came across this one restaurant where everything was just “off”…The seats and utensils were miniature (what is this, a centre for ants!) and the place was pretty hazy from cigarette smoke because smoking indoors is not illegal in Japan. Also there was an elevator leading to who knows where… we just felt it was better to not ask questions. Outside on the streets was equally hazy and dreamlike with huge figurines popping out at you from every which way. All in all Osaka was my favourite place that I had visited in mainland….just because it was so weird! Til’ this day, I don’t know if it was a dream…just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment