Friday, June 7, 2013

The Art of BS

Oh wow, this was created quite some time ago as well... I'm going to estimate it to about 2006-2007. I used acrylics as usual. I also remember the critique for this piece not going too well!

Professor: "Well what does it mean?"

Me: It's a landscape, what is it supposed to mean?!? Here are some trees & some water. And there the trees are reflected in the water..."

I think that was the number one thing that royally ticked me off about critiques. Why does everything have to be given a meaning. I painted something that I liked aesthetically. Can't we just leave it at that? I didn't choose the colour blue to signify depression or red to signify passion! I chose them because I liked those colours in my composition! Sometimes critiques were so ridiculous that I felt people were just spouting out a bunch of flowery BS and giving their work a fake meaning...I have nothing against conceptual art...but how can you critique a piece that is so conceptually driven and lacking actual physicality verses a piece that someone has spent days painting and constructing? An example of this would be when a student brought a hammer and stuck it to the wall. This was her piece. Of course she had this clever concept and used words to really sell it....mind you, this was a painting course...And then you'd have someone bring in this huge painting almost half the size of the wall and not be able to conjure up these words of "meaning" that all the professors were looking for....It's the Art of BS I'm telling you! Wish I was better at it! Ok...rant over! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment